Scotland’s Chief Statistician has published statistics on drug seizures by Scottish Police Forces, which give the number and quantity of drugs seized by the eight Scottish police forces in 2010-11.
The key findings of the statistics are:
- There were 27,319 drug seizures by Scottish police forces in 2010-11.
- There were 3,484 seizures of heroin, seizing 95.6 kg.
- There were 2,086 seizures of cocaine, seizing 145.2 kg.
- There were 10,046 seizures of cannabis resin, seizing 1,068.4 kg.
- There were 6,777 seizures of herbal cannabis, seizing 867.2 kg.
Justice Secretary, Kenny MacAskill said:
“Combating serious organised crime – including disrupting the supply of drugs in Scotland – and tackling organised crime groups is a top priority for the Scottish Government, police and law enforcement organisations, as set out in our Serious Organised Crime Strategy.”